Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Before I Fly, I'll Blog!

On October 16th, 2012, I got an email that made me break down in tears in the middle of Crumb Library at SUNY Potsdam. It was from SUNY Brockport and it said that I was accepted into their Study Abroad program at Roehampton University. I was going to go to study Theatre in London, England in the Spring of 2013.

Since then, my life has been a world-wind of paper work, phone calls, emails and research. It all seemed to be to good to be true. It still hasn't really sunk in yet. It feels like I'm going to wake up from this crazy dream. In a few short days, I will be on a plane flying to a new city, a new country and in some ways, a new world.

I'm doing this for so many reasons. One is to study my true love and passion: theatre. Also, to prove others wrong. I've been told by a lot of people that "You Can't." Because of something I was born with, people gave me this label that came with these invisible limits. Not only did people tell me I could never study abroad, but not even go to college. In fact, some people believed that I should of worked on getting my GED, lived on disability and MAYBE get a part time job. But that wasn't what I wanted in my life. As Pippin said: "Don't you see I want my life to be something more then long?"

I like to tell people that I am "Defying Gravity Everyday" because I like to prove people wrong. I am literally going to be "Defying Gravity" on January 31st. I'll be in the air going on a new adventure that will be life changing.

But why start a blog? I want everyone to know what I am up on my outrageous adventures in London. I promise a lot of theatre, Harry Potter, London history, new friends and maybe even a new Melanie.

I don't know how often I will be updating this blog but it will be updated whenever I'm not busy discovering something new. Check back every so often.

Defy Gravity
Melanie
  

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, I can't tell you how excited I am to hear and see all of your adventures "Defying Gravity"! I am so glad that you plan on sharing and am so happy for you to have this adventure of a lifetime! I am so very proud of everything you have accomplished in such a short time and look forward to hearing and seeing all of your adventures!! I have never been to London, and hope to someday, but in the meantime, I hope I can visit "virtually" thru you! :)

    ReplyDelete